Sunday, November 7, 2010

Moldy Food and Food Safety

Have you ever wondered if a food with mold on it is safe to eat?   For instance, is it okay to eat that cheddar cheese if you cut the mold off of it?  We all hate wasting food, but some foods can be dangerous to eat if they are moldy and are best thrown away.  I found a great fact sheet from the USDA that can help you decide if you can safely eat a moldy food or if you should toss it.  Most foods should be discarded, but I was surprised at a couple that can be saved once the mold is cut away!  And in case you are curious, hard cheeses can indeed be eaten if you cut off the portion one inch around the mold.

No comments:

Post a Comment