Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Whole Grain Wednesdays- Toasted Cheese Logs

I don't usually post recipes to my blog that I haven't personally prepared, but this week I had to make an exception.  It has been a very busy week around my house.  I don't know about you, but I find that this time of year is a little crazy if you have school age kids!  It seems like the schools are trying to jam lots of events into the last couple of months, and spring sports are in full swing.  Is it the end of May yet?

This is a recipe that I have been wanting to try for a quick snack.  It is adapted from a recipe in Potpourri magazine.

Toasted Cheese Logs
2 cups (8 ounces) lowfat shredded Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon mustard
3 Tablespoons cream cheese
5 thin slices of whole wheat bread, crusts removed

Combine the cheese, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and cream cheese in a small bowl.  Stir well.  Spread on the slices of trimmed bread and roll to make logs.  (You can roll the bread with a rolling pin first to flatten it if you only have thicker bread).  Place the logs on a lightly greased baking sheet.  Toast in a 350 degree oven or under the broiler until lightly browned.

Crediting information:  Makes 5 servings.  Each serving creditable for 1 meat/meat alternate and 1 bread/bread alternate at any meal or snack for 3-5 year old children.

No comments:

Post a Comment