Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Whole Grain Wednesdays- Cranberry Wild Rice Salad

I like to vary the types of whole grains that I eat, and lately I have been trying different varieties of rice.  Wild rice is one of my favorites.  I don't eat it often because it is usually quite a bit more expensive than brown rice, but I found some on sale a couple of weeks ago so I stocked up.  I like wild rice for its nutty flavor and chewy texture!

You might already know that wild rice is not technically a rice, but is actually in the grass family.  It is a whole grain and is a good source of protein, fiber, niacin, vitamin B6, folate, magnesium, manganese, zinc and copper.

If you don't have wild rice, feel free to substitute brown rice in this recipe!

Cranberry Wild Rice Salad (adapted from Prevention magazine)

4 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
4 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup cooked wild rice
1 cup fresh (or frozen and thawed) shelled edamame
4 Tablespoons dried cranberries
4 Tablespoons chopped walnuts*

In a large bowl, combine the rice wine vinegar, olive oil and pepper.  Add the remaining ingredients and toss well to combine.  Serve at room temperature.

*Can be a choking hazard for children under the age of 4.

Crediting information:  Makes 4 servings.  Each serving creditable for 1 bread/bread alternate at any meal or snack. 

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I can find wild rice in the bulk bins for a better price

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't have wild rice, feel free to substitute brown rice in this recipe!

    why u say that is it high price?

    ReplyDelete