Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Whole Grain Wednesdays-Mexican Bulgur

When I was in college, one year I had a roommate who ate a lot of Rice-a-roni Spanish rice.  I would occasionally eat it with her, but I found it too salty for my taste.  I was always wishing for a Spanish rice recipe that was still quick and easy, but that I could make with my own fresh ingredients so that I could  control the sodium level.  I finally found that recipe!  This recipe not only includes a whole grain, but it has a lot less salt than the average rice mix.  This is my family's favorite accompaniment to burritos!


Mexican Bulgur (adapted from the Best of Simply Colorado Cookbook)
Note*- Bulgur wheat can be found in the bulk bins at health food stores or often in the grain section of grocery stores (by the rice). Bulgur comes in different "grind" sizes. Get the medium grind for this recipe if you have a choice.

1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 green or red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 cup bulgur wheat
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth (low-sodium if possible)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
salsa

1. In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add onion and green pepper; saute over medium heat for 6-7 minutes (or until soft), stirring occasionally.

2. Add bulgur and cook for 2 minutes, stirring to coat the grains.

3. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer slowly for 15 minutes or until the liquid is all absorbed.

4. Serve hot, garnished with salsa if desired.

Crediting information: Makes 12 servings. Each serving creditable for 1 bread/bread alternate at any meal or snack for 1-5 year old children.


No comments:

Post a Comment