Tuesday, February 22, 2011

New Soup

I read somewhere that most people have about 8-10 standard main dishes that they eat all of the time.  I wonder if that is true?  I could see the appeal of doing that, it would make it much easier to shop for groceries!  I might be tempted to eat that way if I was only cooking for myself, but I really like to mix things up when feeding my family.  Variety really is a good thing when it comes to optimal nutrition, because greater variety in the foods that you eat ensures that you are getting all of the nutrients that you need.  With this in mind, I am always looking for new recipes to add to our recipe "rotation" so that we don't eat the same thing more than once per month. 

I found a yummy new recipe that I made for our weekly "soup and bread" night that would be a great recipe for a child care home.  I always try and make Monday's soup on Sunday so that the flavors have a chance to mix together when sitting in the refrigerator overnight.  I really think this improves the flavor of most soups!  This soup is called "taco soup" but it really reminded me more of chili than tacos.  It might be more like tacos if you choose to use all of the suggested garnishes, but I just served it with the shredded cheese.

Note: You can find bulgur in the bulk bins at Sunflower Market.  I have also seen it in the cooking aisle at my local King Soopers.

Taco Soup
4 cups water
1/2 cup bulgur
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced (or 1 teaspoon minced jarred garlic)
1 medium bell pepper, finely diced (you can use any color)
4 cups cooked pinto beans  (or 2, 16oz cans pinto beans drained and rinsed)
1 28oz can tomato puree
1 4oz can mild chopped green chilies
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Garnishes (optional)
shedded lowfat cheddar cheese
thinly shredded romaine lettuce
finely diced fresh tomatoes
tortilla chips

Bring 1 cup of the water to a boil in a small saucepan.  Add the bulgur and stir.  Reduce the heat and cover the pan.  Simmer, covered for 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed.  Set aside.

Heat the oil in a large soup pot.  Add the onion and saute until translucent.  Add the garlic and the bell pepper and continue to saute, stirring, until all are golden.  Add the remaining ingredients (except the garnishes) plus the previously cooked bulgur to the pan.  Add the remaining 3 cups of water.  Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, then remove from the heat.

Serve warm topped with garnishes as desired. 

Crediting information:  Makes 10 servings.  Each serving is creditable for 1 meat/meat alternate and 1 fruit/vegetable at any meal or snack for 3-5 year old children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment