Monday, February 14, 2011

Blast From the Past!

I recently had a provider email me to say that she had lost one of her kids' favorite muffin recipes that was published long ago in a Wildwood newsletter.  I was so happy to be able to dig up the recipe and send it to her.  Turns out it was originally published in 2001! 

I thought that I would share the recipe with all of you today.  You will have some leftover pumpkin after you make this recipe.  I like to use our pumpkin "leftovers" to stir into oatmeal for breakfast or for adding to soup or sauces.  These muffins would make a great snack, and they contain nutrient-rich pumpkin and "good" fats. 

Pumpkin Muffins (Wildwood newsletter October 2001)
1 1/2 cups enriched all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup lowfat or skim milk
1/2 cup pumpkin
3 Tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
1 large egg
1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Lightly grease the bottom of 10 muffin cups.  In a large bowl, combine all ingredients until moistened.  The batter will be lumpy.  Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.  Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes.  Remove muffins from pan to cool.

Crediting information: Makes 20 servings (10 muffins).  1/2 of a muffin is creditable as one bread/bread alternate for 1-5 year olds at any meal or snack. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this recipe. I have been with Wildwood a long time and enjoy your recipes when I want to try something new for my kids. I like the snack recipes the best, sometimes it is hard to think of new snacks.

    ReplyDelete