Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Whole Grain Wednesdays- Whole Wheat Convenience Mix

Happy Wednesday and welcome back to Whole Grain Wednesdays!   Today I have a link to a website to share with you.  The University of Maine Cooperative Extension has a nice group of convenience mixes that can help you save money and time.  I like to use convenience mixes because I can mix them up over the weekend and then it saves me time when I want to cook biscuits or bread later in the week.  But most of all, I appreciate knowing everything that goes into them. Some of the mixes in the store, such as biscuit mixes, have a lot of questionable ingredients and preservatives in them.

For example, Bisquick has partially hydrogenated oils in it which you probably know is another word for trans fat.  Since ideally our trans fat intake should be zero, this is not something that I would buy for my family.  Plus you will notice that there is not a whole grain to be found anywhere in this product.



So, if you are interested in making your own whole wheat convenience mix, here is the University of Maine website.  Hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment