Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Marathon Pancakes!

I have been training for a marathon! I have always been a runner but never usually run for more than an hour at a time. I have had to adjust to the fact that I have to take food with me when I go on long training runs. I tried some of the more common carbohydrate snacks for athletes like the little gels and little gummi bites but I found them to be kind of gross and they also made my stomach feel weird. The best marathon food I have found for me is these oatmeal pancakes! I love these pancakes since they are not too sweet and are full of healthy oats but not a lot of fat (which you don't want when you are running long distances).

Even if you don't take them for a run, these pancakes are great for breakfast served with homemade blueberry sauce! (I use frozen blueberries, a little sugar, water and a little cornstarch to thicken it all up) YUM!

"Marathon" Pancakes (adapted from a Health magazine recipe)

1 1/2 cup rolled oats (not quick oats)
1 cup low fat buttermilk
1 cup enriched all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1 1/2 cup skim milk

Soak the oats in the buttermilk in a small bowl for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Whisk the eggs and egg whites together in a large bowl. Stir in the skim milk. Add the dry ingredients and oat mixture to the egg mixture and stir. Cook on a skillet coated with cooking spray.

No comments:

Post a Comment