Friday, February 19, 2010

Crockpot Oats

I just love steel cut oats for breakfast, and I especially love breakfast that is ready when I wake up in the morning! I thought I would share my favorite recipe for crockpot oats, one that I fix quite often in the wintertime. Some of you may already have this recipe because we included it in the latest Wildwood monitoring unit, but I just couldn't resist posting it here for those of you who aren't on our Food Program.

Steel cut oats are minimally processed oats that usually take quite a long time to cook (about 45-50 minutes). This can often be a messy process because they often boil over (at least they do for me, maybe because I am usually doing other things while cooking and I sometimes walk away from the stove- ha ha). I just love using this recipe because I don't have to monitor the cooking process! You can find steel cut oats at most regular grocery stores now in the hot cereal section. You can also often purchase them in bulk at many health food stores. Don't use regular "old fashioned" or quick oats for this recipe.

Nutrition bonus- oats are a nutrient-rich food and a great source of soluble fiber!

Crockpot Oats
1 cup steel cut oats
4 1/2 cups water
1 Tablespoon butter (optional)
cooking spray

1) Spray the inside of a 2 quart crockpot with cooking spray (this makes for easier clean-up!)
2) Place the oats, water and butter (if using) in the crockpot.
3) Cover and cook on LOW overnight or for 6-8 hours.

Makes 8 servings. Each serving creditable for 1 bread/bread alternate at breakfast for 3-5 year old children.

No comments:

Post a Comment