Monday, January 25, 2010

Biscuit time!

The pan for my bread machine broke a couple of days ago. This was a major disappoint to me because I use my bread machine at least once every week. Now, I have had my bread machine for about 10 years, so finding a replacement pan was not an easy task. The bread machine company no longer makes replacement parts for the model that I have. Long story short, I did end up finding an entire bread machine on ebay for the same price as the replacement pan I found on another website! I am very excited that I will eventually have a working bread machine, but I was scrambling to find something to serve for our weekly "bread and soup night" dinner.


I didn't have enough time to mess with making regular bread with the kneading and the rising time, etc. But, I finally remembered a recipe I had for biscuits that I usually make as a snack for my kids. This is a recipe that I modified from a cookbook to include some whole grains and healthier oils. The verdict? My kids loved them and asked why I didn't serve them instead of bread more often!

Buttermilk Biscuits

1 cup enriched all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons butter
4 Tablespoons canola oil
1 cup lowfat buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet or spray with cooking spray and set aside.

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the butter and the canola oil. Cut in the butter with your fingers or two knives until the mixture looks like coarse meal. Pour in the buttermilk and stir with a fork until the dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Lightly flour the counter, turn out the dough, adding more flour as needed to prevent the dough from sticking to the counter. Pat the dough into a circle about 3/4 inch thick. Cut into rounds with a small glass or cookie cutter. Reassemble the scraps and cut them out as well. Place the biscuits on the cookie sheet and bake until light brown, about 15-20 minutes.

Makes 32 servings. Each serving creditable for 1 bread/bread alternate at any meal or snack for 3-5 year old children.

No comments:

Post a Comment