Friday, July 10, 2009

Quick Pizza Dough


I recently came across an article online listing 20 "worthless" items most people have laying around their house. These items were considered worthless because they were things that people buy and then never use. I was not surprised to see bread machines right up there with waffle irons on the list. I know that a lot of people buy a bread machine and then never use it for whatever reason. This is unfortunate because a bread machine can actually produce some great results and can save you a lot of time. I use mine all of the time to make bread for our "bread and soup" night during the winter, and to make pizza dough, and dough for rolls. I even make my own hamburger buns because I prefer whole wheat buns (which used to be impossible to find). Even though it is now much easier to purchase whole wheat buns, I still make my own because of the cost savings (whole wheat buns are expensive!)

I would like to share with you a recipe for pizza dough that I use frequently. It is made the day before you need it and stored in the refrigerator. I have found this really improves the texture, makes it easier to roll out, and it tastes more like delivery pizza dough. It also makes meal preparation easier since you make it ahead of time. My family loves this pizza dough!



Bread Machine Pizza Dough
3/4 cup warm (not hot) water
1 1/4 teaspoons yeast
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil

Combine the water, sugar and yeast in a small bowl or liquid measuring cup and stir until the yeast and sugar dissolve. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes or until it starts to foam. Place the flour, salt and olive oil in the bread machine pan. Pour the yeast mixture into the bread pan on top of the flour mixture. Set the bread machine for "dough" setting. When the dough cycle is complete, put the dough into a greased bowl and cover. Place in the refrigerator overnight. Take dough out about 1 hour before you are ready to make pizza.

You can substitute whole wheat flour for some of the bread flour. I have had good success using the "white" whole wheat flour.

Picture by Pizza Review

No comments:

Post a Comment